B

No 6 Climax - Full Cab Ride - White Mountains Central Railroad

  • Bob
A ride on No 6 Climax at Clark’s Trading Post in Lincoln, NH over Railfan’s Weekend back in Sept 2014. This video is a complete ride including a view from the cab and several other camera angles. from our visit to the Clark’s Trading Post in Lincoln, NH over Railfan’s weekend back in September 2014. I have made a separate video titled “White Mt Central Railroad – Railfan’s Weekend” that captures all of the events of the day.

During our trips to the White Mountains we always stop by the Clark’s Trading Post. There is an original Climax locomotive that runs throughout the day where you encounter the legendary Wolfman as you travel through the woods of the White Mountains. Their claim to fame is the bear show, where the Clark’s family second generation bear trainers, brother and sister duo, demonstrate the bears and their tricks; all with the help of a spoon and ice cream cone.

The trading post got its start back in 1928 when Florence and Ed Clark opened the trading post alongside the original Route 3. The post sold souvenirs, tonic and maple candy, while Ed demonstrated his Eskimo Sled Dog Ranch as an added attraction to encourage people to stop along their way. Their first bear was purchased as an attraction back in 1931. Ed and Florence’s two sons, Edward and Murray, after returning from the war, began training more bears in 1949, when the first bear show was added as an attraction.

In the 1950’s Edward and Murray, then co-owners of the Clark’s Trading Post, begin rescuing locomotives from the cutting torch as they brought them to Clark’s Trading Post and developed the White Mtn. Central Railroad. Today their collection includes a Climax, Heisler, Shay and Porter. In addition to their train collection, they collected everything from a time gone by to serve as a source of education as well as entertainment for their guests.

Ninety years later, you experience a family attraction that offers a full day of entertainment for the entire family. The park includes the train station, train rides, performance arena for the bear show and other featured shows, a recreated city street from the turn of the century filled with all of the Clark’s collection of antiques and many fun activities for the entire family.

No 6 Climax was built in 1920 at Corry PA by Climax Mfg. Co. Patented Feb 25, 1890 with the builder’s number 1603. Originally purchased by the Beebe River Lumber Co in Campton, NH when it was delivered by Walter Kessler’s father. Later it was sold to Waterville Valley and then to the East Branch and Lincoln Railroad. In 1951 it was purchased by Clark’s where it remained until the early 1970’s when restoration begin. Due to the increasing loads placed upon its original locomotive No 4 Heisler as additional cars were added because of the growing popularity for the train attraction, No 6 was restored to be the larger locomotive replacement. In 1976, the Climax became the primary tourist train at Clark’s Trading Post where it still s
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Clark's Trading Post - White Mt Central #6
Added by
Bob
Date added
View count
82
Comment count
0
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back
Top